For years, I recorded my podcasts using a Plantronics DSP 400 USB headset. The recording quality was surprisingly good for a headset more designed for gaming or phone calls, but I always had an issue with “popping” whenever I used a hard consonant like a P.
Near the end of my first podcasting run in 2014, I upgraded to a podcasting kit from Behringer. This kit came with a sound board, an actual XLR microphone, and a studio headset. I could run the sound through my computer, so my recording process was the same, but I was closer to that professional audio sound I wanted.
Then I stopped podcasting for almost a decade.
When I started podcasting again last year, I couldn’t find all the parts for my Behringer kit, so I went back to my Plantronics headset, which still worked after almost 20 years, but that also brought back the pops.
Well, look out, everybody. I’ve got a new setup and, hopefully, a new sound.
For Christmas, my wife got me the microphone, mic arm, and pop filter in the above photo for Christmas. The microphone is a MXL 770 condenser mic, which my company uses for their podcast and video recordings. I loved the sound and can’t wait to hear how I sound. And, of course, an actual pop filter will help!
To get everything working, though, I did need to replace a couple pieces from uthe podcasting kit. The headset, for example…
In two days, my podcasting setup will be complete, and I’ll resume recording the Drum Corps Planet podcast. I’m looking forward to sounding great!